mPOS Hackathon Rules
Intellectual Property Rights
All submissions to the mPOS Hackathon remain the intellectual property of the individuals or organizations that developed them. By registering, consenting to the terms of the hackathon, and entering a submission, however, the participant agrees that the organizers and technology partners reserve an irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual license to use, distribute to the public, and publicly display, create derivative works from and perform a submission starting on the date of the announcement of contest winners (February 20, 2014) as an example of work. We encourage participants to open source their projects to both share their hacks with the greater community and promote innovation in this space.
Protection of intellectual property
By submitting an mPOS Hackathon entry or accepting any prize, you represent and warrant the following:
- you will not submit content that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the content and to grant mPOS Hackathon all of the rights granted herein;
- you will not publish falsehoods or misrepresentations that could damage mPOS Hackathon, sponsors, or any third party;
- you will not submit content that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, harassing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, violate any law, or is otherwise inappropriate or destructive to mPOS Hackathon’s or sponsors’ brand image or goodwill;
- you will not post advertisements or solicitations of business;
- mPOS Hackathon will not be obligated to pay any compensation to, or permit any participation by, any third party in connection with the use, reproduction, modification, publication, display or other exploitation of any of the content that you submit; and
- the content submitted by you does not contain any viruses, trojan horses, worms or other disabling devices or harmful code.
By posting or submitting a mPOS Hackathon entry to the contest (regardless of the form or medium of such content), you hereby grant mPOS Hackathon, sponsors, their respective affiliates, and their affiliates’ agents and third party contractors, without additional consideration, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non- exclusive right and license, with the right to sublicense, to discuss, publicize, market and otherwise display content derived from or relating to the mPOS Hackathon entry (“Marketing Content”), and to distribute and use such Marketing Content for promotional and marketing purposes (either in the form submitted or in the form of a derivative or adapted work). You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your mPOS Hackathon entry, other than what is described in these official contest rules.
Participant represents and warrants that he or she is the sole author and copyright owner of the submission, and that the submission is an original work of the participant, or if the submission is a work based on an existing application, that the participant has acquired sufficient rights to use and to authorize others, including the mPOS Hackathon, to use the submission, as specified in the “Intellectual Property Rights” section of the rules; and that the submission does not infringe upon any copyright or upon any other third party rights of which the participant is aware, and that the submission is free of malware.
Winners will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Quality and innovative nature of the design
- Utility of the product
- Compelling use of technology partners’ products
mPOS Hackathon organizers will have the right at their sole discretion to determine whether an entrant is eligible for the contest. mPOS Hackathon may disqualify, at organizers’ sole discretion, mPOS Hackathon entries (including, without limitation, content submitted in connection therewith) that
- are in violation of third party rights or law or regulation,
- use inappropriate or explicit language or images, or display content that mPOS Hackathon or sponsors otherwise finds objectionable or inconsistent with mPOS Hackathon’s or Sponsors’ brand image or goodwill.
mPOS Hackathon can accept only those mPOS Hackathon entries that are completed and submitted as described above and that conform to any technical requirements specified as part of the entry process. mPOS Hackathon entries that do not comply with the provisions of these official contest rules will be deemed ineligible and will not be considered.
The contest winners will be selected by a panel of judges (“Judges”). By submitting any mPOS Hackathon entry, entrants release mPOS Hackathon, sponsors, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents, and advisors from any and all liability for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the decisions of the Judges.
Contest prizes are non-transferable by the winner. If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting such prize.
By entering this contest, you agree to be bound by these official contest rules. The official contest rules will be posted at www.mposhackathon.com. To the maximum extent permitted by law, mPOS Hackathon reserves the right to change these official contest rules at any time. You further agree to be bound by the decisions of mPOS Hackathon and the judges which shall be final and binding in all respects. mPOS Hackathon reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the mPOS Hackathon entry process or the operation of the contest or website; violates the official contest rules; or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.